Easter is a great time of year for celebration and eating chocolate eggs for breakfast but for our four legged friends it is not quite so fun.
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs; however, the hazard of chocolate to your dog depends on the chocolate type, the amount consumed and the dog's size. In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog. The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up toxic levels in their system. A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before it suffers ill effects. The onset of Theobromine can cause severe hyperactivity. In small doses, your dog could experience a stomach upset followed by vomiting or diarrhea. In large doses, symptoms can be as serious as muscle tremors, seizures, irregular heartbeat, and heart failure. Do not hesitate to get your dog to your local veterinary clinic if you suspect they have eaten chocolate!
Dogs and cats will relish in any scraps lying around but their stomachs may not be as happy!
Hot cross buns though delicious to us can also cause vomiting, diarrhoea and in severe cases kidney failure in your pets due to the raisins/sultanas so keep those dried up grapes away from your furry friend this Easter.
If your dog eats chocolate, give us a call and our experienced staff will help you.